Sunday 12 February 2012

Asuncion, the melting city

Paraguay!

I´m missing out the time we spent in a border town, as nothing happened in Ponta Porra, and there was nothing there. (It exists only as a passage between Brazil and Paraguay)

So, Asuncion. It seems that Paraguay is where the rest of South America goes to shop, due to it´s tax-free status, I suppose. It is, therefore, full of shopping centres and long streets full of various shops. It´s also the best place to pick up bargain electronics. I didn´t need any new cameras or anything, so we did a city tour.

It was interesting, and Paraguay has a strange history. Unfortunately I can´t pass on most of this information as it was too hot to concentrate. At 9am, in the shade just standing, the sweat was running down my face and back. Looking at each 0ther we could see beads of sweat where we´ve never seen beads of sweat before. Like our chests and arms........hideous!

The temperature recorders on bus stops were reading between 43 and 46 degrees. It was so hot and so humid, it´s almost impossible to describe. I think I have never been so hot and uncomfortable in my life. At night the temperature dropped to..........37 degrees!!!

OH MY DAYS.

I´m going on about it, but I really don´t know how anybody can live there. I suppose natives are used to it!

After the tour we simply wandered around and tried not to exert ourselves too much.

We left the next morning. A very brief stopover, but I must say a relief to get on an air-conditioned bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment