Thursday 23 February 2012

Carnival!!!

Well. Due to a stomach bug, I managed to do the whole thing SOBER. Which is a pretty impressive feat, I reckon!

After spending the day wandering around the shops, we went to have a look at one of the street parties in Lapa. Wowee, what a lot of people! Plenty of people dancing Samba in the streets and partying hard! Every few steps there was someone selling beer or burgers or carnival masks. You could hardly move, but the buzz was great!

The next day we went to have a look at Copacabana beach. Well, once has to when in Rio, no? I must say, it was very pretty, but I wasn't blown away. Perhaps because there was no room on the beach at all! The weather was beautiful, the people were beautiful (more or less...) and so they came to tan. The mosaic pavements were very distinctive though.

We then went to one of the famous balls held during carnival.

I have mixed feelings about that. It was great, and I had a fantastic time, but it wasn't as extravagant as I had expected. The venue was like a nightclub / dinner and dance. Very strange, but there was a mixture of people and the Samba bands played on stage for hours so we danced the night away!

No comments:

Post a Comment