Saturday 21 January 2012

Bolivia Breakthrough

On to Bolivia.

The border crossing was not nearly as exciting as I was led to believe. The Bolivian border police are known for stealing money off tourists, accepting bribes and just creating problems crossing the border just for the hell of it.

So obviously, I was pretty excited, hiding my money in my bra and socks and whatnot. Practising my ´what, me?´ face in the mirror.

All it consisted of was queuing a lot. And the policeman looked at me, smiled and asked if I was Irish. When I replied I was English, he just looked down again, stamped my passport and papers and I passed through. Obviously keen on the Irish then.

Copacabana, then on to La Paz, which is where I am right now.

I must mention this journey, as straight away one can see Bolivians are crazy.

From Copacobana (not a nice place) we had to take the bus to La Paz. Part of this journey includes crossing the lake from one peninsula to the other.

We were instructed to get off the bus in order to get on a little boat to cross. Five minute journey. No problems.

Now, we were also told we could leave our stuff on the bus, as we would catch it the other side.

Hmmmmmm.....?

Yes, we could leave our stuff on the bus, as it was driven on to a RAFT. Which then crossed the river.

It may not sound anything spectacular, but please, picture in your mind´s eye a big coach, like a National Express bus, on a few planks of wood, floating across a lake.

It was unbelievable.

Bolivians are crazy.

1 comment:

  1. You see....I told you to take your shillelagh and shamrock with you!!! Couldn't help laughing about the coach but think about this....they could have asked you all to stay on the coach and you all went on the raft...picture that !! that aside am completely jealous...I think !!

    ReplyDelete